Saturday, August 14, 2021

The Battle of Keasdon Lane...28mm Never Mind the Billhooks

 Friday night saw me introduce a new player, Nigel to the delights of Never Mind the Billhooks. He already has the rules, cards and tokens and now I reckon it will not be too long before some boxes of Perry plastics will be arriving at his house. 

The set up was a simple encounter battle, continuing the theme of using local place names I present the battle of Keasdon Lane (I had cycled up the Keasdon Road earlier in the week so used that name). The main aim was for Nigel to learn the rules so I chose two 97 point armies with slight differences in the troop types and we just face off against each other playing across Keasdon Lane. We were playing in my dining room which is a bit dark so the photo's are not too good. The disposition of my troops is in the photo below. 

A cautious manoeuvre phase was ended when my artillery opened fire on the far left and actually killed something. On the right we both sent our skirmish troops through the rough ground, mine lining the woods and Nigel's taking cover behind the fields fence. Those two units then remained there all game  sniping at each other with little effect. See photo below...
In the centre I grouped my archers close together to maximise my archery against the slowly advancing Yorkists whilst taking great care to steer clear of Nigel's dismounted Men at Arms.
In this photo you can see my light cavalry setting off to charge down the Yorkist gun before then being chased away themselves by the Men at Arms.  Back in the centre I was getting the better of the archery exchange but with both sides running short on arrows and several units in quite a sorry state. As we jostled for position it seemed that the Lancastrians had the upper hand and with time getting on we called the end to a really fun game. 
I really like this rules system, the games flow quickly and most of the rules are intuitive. I know Nigel enjoyed the game as well and I look forward to more games against him. 
The only thing we have changed is we don't like the idea of rock, paper scissors to decide duels between leaders so we now use dice. Each Leader in the duel throws a number of D6 equal to their value, so a Hero gets 3 dice and Dolt only 1. The highest single dice thrown is the winning score and causes a wound on the opponent. If it is a draw, then no wounds caused. I would be interested to hear what other players think of this?
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Trying 'General D'Armee' v2 in 15mm

  Howard, Ian and Nigel have been playing a few games of the new version of 'General D'Armee' and this week I was able to go alo...