Monday, October 21, 2024

Navwar Ancient Galley's and Poseidon's Warriors.

 I have been wanting to try some Ancient Naval gaming for some time now (I painted the Triremes in the first photo over 20 years ago). I recently put in an order to Navwar for some more ancient galleys and some for my gaming friend Ian too. I was delighted when the parcel arrived in just 8 days so then it was on with some painting. 

We are going to try the Osprey set of rules 'Poseidon's Warriors' which read as if they will be simple enough for our old brains and good fun too. 


These Triremes were painted over 20 years ago but I have repainted their bases to match how I am now painting up the newer models bases. The sea mat Ian and I bought at the St Helens Phalanx show from their excellent bring and buy, just £20 (a tenner each). 

Painted just this weekend, I have added a few Greek Merchant vessels and a Lembus. You can also see the sand banks and rocky hazard I made too. 

Next I painted up some larger galleys including a 16 bank flagship. These models are quick and easy to paint and look great on the table.I have lots more to paint but need some bases to fix the models too which I hope to buy at the Leeds Fiasco show this coming weekend. My eventual hope is to build a coastline too with a few suitable ancient buildings etc... Then I would like to combine some naval action with some of my ancient wargames using my 10mm, 15mm and 28mm armies and Hail caesar rules.  






 

1 comment:

  1. Those look great. Any chance of a photo including something to give a sense of scale?
    It brings back fond memories of Man o War

    ReplyDelete

Navwar Ancient Galley's and Poseidon's Warriors.

  I have been wanting to try some Ancient Naval gaming for some time now (I painted the Triremes in the first photo over 20 years ago). I re...