Thursday, November 14, 2019

First Battle with Kings of War 3rd edition.

Chris and I managed to get in our first  game of Kings of War new 3rd edition using our 15mm ogre and goblin armies. Happily we can report that this is essentially the same fun game. Movement has become more intricate but I am sure we will soon master the changes. There are also tweaks to some of the army lists and a few new spells and magic items. 
We decided to play scenario 6 where the two armies battled to control the board which is divided into 6 squares, the winner being who could control each square by the end of the game. This is how Chris set the scene for the 1,000 point battle 

ABOVE THE COLD PLAINS: Goblins vs Ogres, 1,000 pts each

Brak-na-Hak looked out on the goblins scurrying around before him. It seemed they never learned the natural order of things, and kept trying to oust his people form their rightful homes (i.e. where ever they wanted to live). Clearly they must be taught a lesson, though he was aware that the goblins themselves would be doing their best to take his lands.
So be it then; let the best ogres win.

The goblins have sneaked a force into the barren lands above Cold Plains. Fortunately, the ogres’ Red Goblin allies have got word of this and alerted their masters, so a response has been mounted.
The scenario is the Control scenario, (p 60).
Here is a birds eye view of both sides deployment, with the ogres at the top and the goblins coming in from the south. This picture shows how we use bases cut to 60% of the normal 28mm size and also shows our gaming mat also reduced to 60% of 6x4 foot. 
The ogres started strongly, wavering my new bolt thrower and causing me all sorts of problems. By tiurn 2 I was convinced we were going to lose again. 


However, I managed to get a couple of deadly flank attacks in and suddenly it was the ogres that were in trouble and I managed to wipe them all out by the end of turn 6 to record a first ever win for the goblins (about time too!). I think the dice gods were definately on my side this game.
As always it was a really fun game played in our usual gentlemanly manner. We even found time to pop to the Halifax Model shop so I could purchase the first box of figures for my 2020 project...more of which another day! 

3 comments:

  1. Yes, great fun, even though I lost (the new rules are clearly broken, say the ogres).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funnily enough the goblins like the new rules. I think we will soon pick up the new movement rules. Looking forward to our next game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed. We'll have to go a bit bigger as 2000 points seems to be the default. I think the 1000 point game was great though, and there's that moment when choosing an army where you just wish you had more points for that extra unit that feels right somehow.
      I guess I'd better pint some more ogres as well then.

      Delete

Trying 'General D'Armee' v2 in 15mm

  Howard, Ian and Nigel have been playing a few games of the new version of 'General D'Armee' and this week I was able to go alo...