Wednesday, May 11, 2022

6mm Biblical Hail Caesar

 For our game today we returned to Biblical times using our 6mm armies and Hail Caesar rules. Before the game my Hittites posed for a few photo's, all 26 units and 5 command bases. You can also see some of the scenery I have created over the last few months.  



We decided to play a 600 point game of my Hittites against Phil's Egyptians with Ian being Phil's sub general. As I had set the table up the Egyptians chose a table edge and took the first turn.It was a straight forward encounter battle with deployment as seen in the overhead photo below, Hittites on the left, Egyptians on the right. The blue dice in the tower top is our turn counter.    


I had deployed first and the cunning Egyptians caught me out on my right flank by deploying both units of chariots there which soon came racing towards me. 


Luckily for me the rearmost unit of chariots had a 'Blunder' next turn and were forced to withdraw 2 moves and take a point of damage on each unit and they then refused to move for the next three turns. This was the first of several Blunders in the game, perhaps our most ever? We had units rushing forward in the wrong direction, pulling back etc... all great fun and really added to the action. 

Overhead view of the chariots in melee. My scout cavalry were quickly destroyed but the Egyptian chariot unit, but the chariot clash went on for a few turns.  
The game was so closely fought that I sadly forgot to take as many photo's as usual. 

More chariot action, look at all those damage counters. 

The view of the battle from behind the Egyptian lines. 

In the centre the Hittites were pushing the badly mauled Egyptian forces back but could never quite catch them to finish them off. 
By the end of eight very hectic turns I think each side had lost 3 of their commands and had many other badly mauled units but neither side was quite at the army break point. As time had run out we called it a draw but one more turn may have proved decisive? 
Hail Caesar gives a great game every time and the 6mm scale chariot armies allow us to use lots of units on a small table. 

4 comments:

  1. Very impressive. 6mm certainly has some advantages. I must get my 6mm fantasy sorted for Fantastic Battles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With 52 units and 12 command bases in total, it was a pretty big game which small scales allow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That small scale looks interesting, I'll add it to my wish-to-play list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can certainly get an army together quickly and comparatively cheaply.

    ReplyDelete

General D'Armee v2, game concludes.

 Back to Nigel's house today for the conclusion of our General D'Armee v2 game. Nigel had set an excellent scenario of a withdrawing...