Ian and I have not played Kings of War (KoW) for some years now. I have the 3rd edition red book rules but Ian only had a set from the early years of the game. I have the same set of rules so used mine in the photo
For our first game back I had worked out two small 600 point armies of Sylvan Kin and Empire of Men (mainly my Hail Caesar Normans). I did not use magic in this first game. I set up some simple terrain and chose the 'Kill' scenario to keep things simple.
Ian was the Kingdom of Men, led by a hero on a pegasus called Tancred.
I was in charge of the Sylvan Kin led by Emyn Lockharn.
The two sids eye each other up.
We were both quite cagey with our movement at the start.
I rashly leapt forward with my Grrrr Dogs (Gur Panthers) and they got squished.
Emyn Lockharn was slain by Tancred.
Emyn has now died in action more times than Sean Bean!
The elf spear phalanx was my last remaining unit which got surrounded, it did not end well!
With plenty of time left we set up again, same sides and sceanrio, different deployment .
Would it be better for the Sylvan Kin this time?
The Grrrr Dogs went off on a flanking manoeuvre, it did not end well when they got attacked by crossbowmen and that pesky Tancred chap on his pegasus.
Ooops, Sylvan Gladestalkers get caught by some Human Knights. That did not end well either.
At this point I forgot to take any more photo's as the rest of the Sylvan Kin were killed. I least they took more humans with them in this game.
Ian and I really enjoyed rediscovering Kings of War, it was great fun. I had experimented with my Sylvan Kin army selection choosing a less 'shooty' force than usual. This actually meant that the Kingdoms of Men had more shooting ability but also seemed to do better in melee. We intend to play again next week but with bigger forces and add in more monsters types and a magician each. It will be no surprise to Ian if my Sylvan Kin take more missile units next time.











No comments:
Post a Comment