Wednesday, July 22, 2026

28mm Dwarf Stronghold

 At the recent St Helens 'Phoenix' wargame show I purchased a 28mm model Dwarf Stonghold, one of three dwarven designs available from the vendor (although I cannot remember who they were?). I thought this would make a very useful piece for so many scenarios. 

I think it is a 3d printed model but a well printed one as their is very little of the linear print lines you can often see on such models. Some of my 'Old School Dwarves popped along to take a look at their new home. Does it seem 'wrong' to use such a modern model with such old figures? 

The underside of the model is quite thin so I made a mdf base for it to sit on and also add strength. I also planned to texture the base once the stronghold was painted. 

There is 'culvert' running out from the rear of the stronghold so I drew a guide line in to match it up with some stream section I have. 

The model is built on some rocks. I added a watered down bit of polyfilla to create a rougher texture on the rocks than on the smoother walls. 

My grey undercoat was almost the same colour as the original model. 
Then I forgot to take any more photo's during the painting until the model was actually finished and the base textured. 

The completed model with a few newly painted Grenadier Dwarves having a look round. 

A slightly different view from higher up. 

Rear view showing the culvert and the highlighting I did around the windows/arrowslits I have now gloss varnished the stream to help it match my steam sections.  

The dwarven faces in the corners were painted bronze as were the roundels above the windows. Painting the stronghold was quicker than I thought it would be. 

The Grenadier Dwarves, very pleased with their new home and ready for action. If I tell you they have 'bloomin big axes' can you guess which ruleset they will be used in? 


1 comment:

  1. Oo, that's a lovely bit of terrain and you've really done it justice.

    ReplyDelete

28mm Dwarf Stronghold

  At the recent St Helens 'Phoenix' wargame show I purchased a 28mm model Dwarf Stonghold, one of three dwarven designs available fr...