Tuesday, July 9, 2024

More 15mm Medieval Mayhem

 Ian and I fought it out again today using Hail Caesar rules and our 15mm English and French armies. We used a scenario I found online tweaked a bit to make the terrain a little more symmetrical and the game fairer. Each force could deploy 2 divisions on the table with the rest of their force arriving on a turn decided by the throw of a d3. Ian added a further tweak that the defender could mark 3 areas of rough terrain on the map and then could deploy these areas after the attackers had deployed. A quick dice throw decided that I was the defender with Ian playing the role of attacker. 

Two divisions each deploy, my English on the left and Ian's French on the right. 

Turn 1 and the English reserves arrive, hurrah! 

Marching through the village of L'Athers, the Duke of York took up his position on the right of the English line. 

In a change from my usual army selection I used two units of mounted knights today.
 To my surprise reduced from three mounted units of knights to just the one. 

The English line takes shape. 

Turn two and the French reserve arrive with a rapid advance on the far end of their line. 

I sent my knights forward on the right flank to intimidate the French Infantry.

On my left flank there was a hill held by Richard de Vere and his men. Ian attacked the hill with first his French Sergeants then some Scottish  spear and peasants , my units of bill and bow held out against all these but it was a hard fought victory. 

Despite this success on my left flank, Sir Thomas Erpingham in command of my centre division blundered his whole division command and the whole division moved back two moves. My order dice throws were awful today often frustrating my plans. 

On the right flank my knights managed to charge a unit of French Crossbow men and destroy them, otherwise it was developing into a bit of a stand off. Thankfully Erpingham finally got his troops moving again to return to their central position. Once again, time defeated us with the battle at a well balanced point we called it a draw but we both fully enjoyed our afternoon of gaming. Hail Caesar always gives a great game. 



3 comments:

  1. I have filled nearly 2 RUB boxes with 15mm Medievals now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great lookings game, what base sizes are you using and where did you get the buildings from please?

    ReplyDelete

The Defence of Carentan: 15mm Rapid Fire

  We haven't played Rapid Fire for probably a couple of years so today's game was very much scaled down to be a learning game. The s...