Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Another 6mm Biblical battle using Hail Caesar.

 Ian and I met this week for another game of Hail Caesar using our Irregular Miniatures 6mm Biblical armies. With Ian taking on the role of King Shutruk the First of the Elamites I opposed him as King Suppliluliuma of the Hittite Empire. At 500 points each it was quite a large game and a quick dice throw decided that Ian had outscouted me. We then used a dice rule from General de Brigade v2 where I placed dice where my divisions were to deploy including one dummy. Ian chose well, his scouts spotting my main chariot division and that my extreme left was empty of troops. 

Initial deployment, Elamites on the left and Hittites on the right. 

The Hittites deployed in all their glory. 

The Elamites try to out manoeuvre their enemies. 
Taking the first turn I tried to do a rapid advance but my command rolls let me down. My right most division, (my chariots) did not move for the first 3 turns Ian fared better and his Elamites surged forward. 

Elamite scouts spying on the Hittite deployment. 

The Elamites soon take possession of the oasis.

With the Elamites taking up a strong position on the hill (lower part of the picture) I opted to back away on this, my left flank. 

The Elamites marched up a hill, and as I then retreated they marched back down again. 

First big clash, I thought my Hittites were well supported but again the dice did not favour me as well as they might. 

The white dice are Ian's saving throw!

Elsewhere I scored 6 hits on this archer unit and Ian saved 4 of them. 

From this point on photographs were forgotten about as a tense battle ensued on my left flank but eventually the Hittites broke the Elamite left most division and looked to be in the stronger position. On the right my slow withdrawal away from the advancing Elamite divisions was helped by Ian failing some important command roles. As we once again ran out of time we assessed the state of play and Ian nobly conceded the game as we both felt I had the upper hand. Our 6mm biblical games are always great fun and closely fought.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

28mm Macedonians: progress report

  Nine months into painting 28mm Macedonians I thought it was time for an update as to how well I have done so far. Progress has been slower...