Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Dingly Dell back on thin ice! more Fantastic Battles in 15mm

 Needing some scenery for Ian's snowy gaming cloth I created 3 snowy hills from a chunk cut off the large piece of insulation sheet that friend Chris had given me a while ago. This was a quick and easy project, although it made a right mess in the garage! I also painted up 4 new companies ready for this weeks game, 2 companies of skirmishers, an extra company of two handed swordsmen and a weird looking daemon thing, painted blue to fit in with the Ice Elves. 

Would the new troop curse affect these guys?

Dingly Dell troops deployed on the left were it by a couple of mishaps whereas the Ice Elves had some units surging forward towards the temple. 

We decided that there was a Troll Hoard hidden within the temple so with two of my units now approaching the temple from mishaps this was quite useful. 

The armies get into shooting range but not many casualties were caused. 

On turn 2 one of my captains searched for the hoard but he was vanquished and removed from the table leaving my units out of command. Happily they were very lucky with their Impetuous actions so fared well in the melee that followed.  

My swordsmen start to get surrounded. 

The ice elf spearmen about to charge and destroy the spirits. 
(I have forgotten what Ian calls this unit). 

However, the greater number of Dingly Dell troops starts to tell and most of my units become surrounded suffering more hits than they can dish out. 

My favourite unit, the Tiger Lancers charge into the Ians mushrooms who have shield wall so I need 6's to hit, look at my dice throw in the box lid! It is rare that the Tiger Lancers lose, but they got squished today. 
At this point, a deliveryman arrived with some snow covered trees I had ordered so we put them on the table, not bad but I think I will do them up a bit. 

Back at the temple Ian sends in a character, Purple Ronnie to find the relic and emerges with a Shadowy Cloak of Stealth which he never got chance to use.  

A single company of my ice elf skirmishers are left on the left flank. They didn't last much longer and of course my rogue was lost at the same time. I was getting quite short of character figures by now. 

The Dingly Dell magic-users made excellent use of the 'summoning' spell, raising 6 new units to fight for them including this wonderful and newly painted 'Tree-Rex'! It died of course being newly painted but all this summoning left me badly outnumbered.  Ian had also used 'Prophecy' at the start of the game and again used his extra dice wisely causing me many a problem. In Dingly Dell such use of prophecy is down to Denzil of the Dell and his Sacred Tablet. 

Ice elf archers about to be destroyed, the giant slug was one of the summoned beastie's. 

It was fun working out this melee. End result was all but my WitchKing on the Wyvern died, leaving me with very few companies left. At this point, end of turn 6 both sides had lost over half of their companies and so another closely fought draw was declared. 
Once again, Fantastic Battles had given us a really great game. 




 

2 comments:

  1. Great fun. One of my favourite rules sets.
    Both armies look great

    ReplyDelete
  2. The RUB box I use for my Ice Elves is now full!

    ReplyDelete

Trying 'General D'Armee' v2 in 15mm

  Howard, Ian and Nigel have been playing a few games of the new version of 'General D'Armee' and this week I was able to go alo...